[CentOS] Can't build RPM for i686 target (i386 works)

Wed Nov 19 22:02:33 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 19/11/14 20:40, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I'm creating a simple RPM for my 32-bit CentOS 6 server.  When I build
> the RPM without specifying a target architecture (rpmbuild foo.spec), it
> successfully builds an i386 RPM.
>
> If I try to build an i686 RPM, I get nothing:
>
>   $ rpmbuild --target i686 foo.spec
>   Building target platforms: i686
>   Building for target i686
>
> And I'm returned to command prompt with no error message.  The SPEC file
> doesn't contain any architecture-related tags.
>
> I feel like I must be missing something really, really basic, but I'll
> be darned if I can figure out what it might be.
>
> Any ideas?

Try running rpmbuild verbosely with -vv and see if that gives you any clues.

Can you rebuild other i686 packages? That should tell you if the issue
is with your build system or the package in question.

Have you ever edited any arch related parameters in ~/.rpmrc?