[CentOS] older distro have newer package in base repo

Thu Nov 20 16:39:41 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 11/20/2014 09:53 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:

> Just wondering why in EL5's base repo the latest supported mysql
> package is 5.5 and in EL6's base repo it is 5.1? Seems strange to me.
>
> (it is clear that the SCL of EL6 has version 5.5 but that implies a
> different update policy).

Because that is how Red Hat decided to handle MySQL in EL5.  I agree
with you that it seems strange ... CentOS just rebuilds the upstream
source code. They did it, we duplicated it.

In fact, the MySQL in EL5 is an SCL. It is the only SCL released for EL5
and it is different than the EL6 ones (path wise, etc).

BTW, I am sure they had their reasons, they would not have done it that
way without good reasons as it is a fairly substantial change.  I don't
know what those reasons are however.