[CentOS] gpg can't decrypt message

Mike mike at microdel.org
Wed Oct 1 15:16:09 UTC 2014

> Hey guys,
>

>  Having a little gpg issue I was wondering if someone could help me with.
>
>  A friend of mine sent me an encrypted message. So I searched online and
> found a a set of keys that correspond with his email address. And imported
> them. But when I go to decrypt the message, this is what I get:
>
> [root at ops:~] #gpg --decrypt roger-message
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 9617EA5C, created 2014-10-01
>       "Roger Sherman <rsherman at viddler.com>"
> *gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID 9A41C766*
> *gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available*
>

> Here's a listing of keys that shows his key imported:
>
> [root at ops:~] #gpg --list-keys
> /root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
> ------------------------
> pub   1024D/F186197B 2010-11-30
> uid                  Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com>
> sub   2048g/B712B288 2010-11-30
>                   Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com>
>
> *pub   2048R/9E0AD649 2014-10-01 [expires: 2016-10-01]*
> *uid                  Roger Sherman <rsherman at viddler.com
> <rsherman at viddler.com>>*
> *sub   2048R/9617EA5C 2014-10-01 [expires: 2016-10-01]*
>
> So maybe I just didn't import the right key? Or do you think the message
> wasn't sent correctly? Who's the dummy here? Me or him? :)
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>
> --
> GPG me!!
>
> gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys F186197B

I haven't messed with gpg for a while but it seems to me that the message
was encrypted with the worng key.  In other words for you (Tim) to be able
to decrypt the message uaing your private key Roger should have encrypted
it with your public key.  You should not have had to import Rogers keys.
However if had needed to verify Rogers signature you would need his public
key(s).