[CentOS] IPv6 updating DNS

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Wed Oct 1 18:25:45 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, October 01, 2014 15:23:52 Mark Tinberg wrote:
> > All of my servers and
> > workstations are able to ping6 to outside targets, and anything with a
> > browser installed can open ipv6.google.com.
> >
> > So far I have figured out that you have to run TWO instances of DHCP.  One
> > instance issues IPv4 and the other issues IPv6.    I have not gone so far
> > as to actually set up a second instance of DHCP.
>
> As long as you run a router advertisement daemon clients will self-assign
> routable addresses, you don't really need DHCPv6 if you are also running
> DHCPv4, you can set DNS (even an IPv6 DNS server) or any other
> configuration using the DHCPv4 daemon.
>
>> Mark Tinberg
> mark.tinberg at wisc.edu

That is true - radvd does cause all my systems to self-assign a public IPv6
address.  The problem is that radvd does NOT cause my DNS to get those
addresses.  The result is I can use IPv6 internally only by giving the
address.  I cannot use it by hostname.

The only exception is the server hosting DNS.  DNS somehow knows the IPv6
address of its host and will deliver it on demand.  I can ssh to that server
by name and get an IPv6 connection.

I suppose I could create static records in DNS.  Those self-assigned addresses
are not going to change until I go on Google Fiber.  For that matter, I could
use the FE80:: link-local addresses.  They are not routable, but I don't need
that.  Being based on the MAC address, they won't change even when I move to
Google Fiber.

Still - it would be nice to have DNS automatically get IPv6 addresses just
like DHCP does now for IPv4.

Bill Gee