[CentOS] IPv6 updating DNS

Mark Tinberg mark.tinberg at wisc.edu
Wed Oct 1 20:43:47 UTC 2014

> I don't need to resolve my hostnames outside my private network, so the EUI64
> addresses will be fine.  It'll be a pain collecting them, but that's a one-time
> job and I can write a script to redo them if needed.

might I suggest "ping6 ff02::1%em0" or whatever interface is appropriate, to ping the all-hosts multicast address, you'll get all the fe80:: addresses for hosts which respond so you can easily grab all the host-part of the IPv6 addresses, just replace fe80:: with your routable subnet number. You can figure out which IPv6 address corresponds with which IPv4 address by comparing the neighbor/arp tables, "/sbin/ip -6 neighbor ; /sbin/ip -4 neighbor"

> I guess there is one more aspect to this ...  Delivering the IPv6 address of
> my named server to clients.

As you point out you don't need to really do anything here as the DNS payload is totally separate from which protocol you use to talk to DNS, you can have dhcpd set IPv6 entries in /etc/resolv.conf if you want but it's not required.

—
Mark Tinberg
mark.tinberg at wisc.edu