[CentOS] CentOS 7 does not pick up my atheros wireless

Thu Oct 2 03:54:01 UTC 2014

Great recap Akemi.

I guess I am also a bit familiar with this stuff, however, since I haven't had to worry about "drivers" since moving to linux and not using BSD on the desktop for quite a few years now.

I asked on NovaLug list first, since I had trouble posting to this list, and someone pointed out the ath5k driver.

I couldn't remember the driver name, since I haven't had to for like five years, and their suggestion reminded me.

So then I spent about thirty minutes trying to figure out how to install the centosplus kernel, and then went to bed.

Then my post to this list provided the rest of the info.

However, with aheros cards, you usually don't need to do too much research at the level you are suggesting, so that is why I saw the hash as not the relevant.

You can probably find drivers for stuff that i have no idea about using your method, but from having to build wireless embedded routers on BSD, I remembered that for AR5xxx cards it was something like what was suggested on the NoVaLug list.

So I already know what driver I needed, after I verified what card I had installed into the system. (Since I honestly hand't seen it in five years, due to it running in the wireless router that I built using BSD (which was running FreeBSD 7-stable, to date my references.)

I think the last time I had to build a driver and worry about what version it was, could have been 2007. Lol...

So thanks so much for your help with this.

Now, if I could just find that pesky system-config-services gui....  LOL!!!!!!

Respectfully,

Martes G Wigglesworth