[CentOS] Centos laptop support

Johan Vermeulen jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be
Thu Oct 2 14:40:15 UTC 2014

op 02-10-14 15:01, Valeri Galtsev schreef:
> On Thu, October 2, 2014 7:16 am, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
>> op 02-10-14 11:33, wwp schreef:
>>> Hello,

>>> What's wrong w/ Broadcom wireless? Works fine here (Broadcom
>>> Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)), even
>>> if I had to install their driver (it's well documented on the CentOS
>>> wiki).
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
> With Dell laptops I pay special attention to get Intel wireless (as much
> as I hate intel for video chip I love Intel for their wireless chip), I'm
> definitely allergic to broadcom wireless from the very beginning. I do
> avoid Compaq (and HP since compaq was bought by them): they hard code in
> BIOS IDs of "approved" cards - it least compaq did it to me once, I had to
> dump BIOS, use hex editor to add Intel wireless card ID to replace with is
> broadcom crap - way back (yes, I had to unsolder PPROM chip from system
> board for that). It was the same Compaq that did, as some remember "clean
> room" --> IBM PC compatible. I too decided recently to stay away from
> Lenovo in a future, reading this thread confirms it. I'm staying away from
> Sony; they release very short series of models, do small tweaks, ... you
> never know what you will get inside, no way to rely on experience
> published by others. Also I saw Sony fail more often (few people around
> buy them for themselves).
>
> My $0.02
>
> Valeri
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Valeri Galtsev
> Sr System Administrator
> Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
> Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
> University of Chicago
> Phone: 773-702-4247
I was wondering about HP, I saw only one post saying they also have the
id:pair coding.
So confirmed here.

I guess you can have the Broadcom cards work across kernel updates with
DKMS, but never tried that.
I try to keep third-party packages away from vital parts like kernels.

That is what I appreciate about distro's like Fedora and Centos: they
have no easy-enabled non-free repo
( that I know of ) that would let me use the Broadcom cards out-of-the-box.
So you get to discover the limitations of open source software and you
learn that some hardware manufactures are with it and some aren't. And
that narrows down the decision on where to spent my money and my
company's money.

Greetings, Johan