[CentOS] Centos laptop support

Mark Tinberg mark.tinberg at wisc.edu
Thu Oct 2 16:56:57 UTC 2014

> The second-last step in my little how-to list is "set secure boot off".
> None of those laptops worked with Centos 6 after that. (I tried Acer,
> Asus, Lenovo and HP -- everything in the store from the cheapest one up to
> about $800 or so.)

You sure there was no *separate* thing to check to ->enable<- "legacy boot"?

I think the problem here was that the kernel in CentOS 6 is too old to boot on a modern laptop, there is not enough back-ported hardware enablement to drive systems that didn't exist when 2.6.32 was released 5 years ago in 2009.  CentOS 7 booted just fine on those devices and should work with SecureBoot enabled as well.

—
Mark Tinberg
mark.tinberg at wisc.edu