[CentOS] centos 5.11 and postfix

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 3 16:59:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, October 3, 2014 5:52 am, Michel Donais wrote:
> O/S: centos 5.11 fresh install and updated this week.
> Postfix: most recent yum update this week
>
> Postfix is set-up to work but do not answer to 'helo'; but sendmail can.
> I  do not have this situation in 5.4
>
> Do somebody can figure out where I'm wrong?

I did have to resolve disaster: smtp (both clear text and SSL + sasl auth)
got broken. It turned out to be postfix package that came with CentOS 5.11
. I do not know details yet: with disaster you first make things work,
then figure out what happened and what is to blame. My temporary fix was
quick (it was troubleshooting that took an hour or so): I rolled back
postfix package:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
http://bay.uchicago.edu/centos/5.10/os/x86_64/CentOS/postfix-2.3.3-6.el5.x86_64.rpm

You may want to replace my mirror address bay.uchicago.edu with your
favorite mirror (and may change to 32 bit location if your box is 32 bit).
After that is done do

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix restart

And yes, I do feel shame for not testing update before installing it...

Note: you may go into details of how to really fix that (which I hadn't
chance to do for my servers), this dirty fix will just let you get out of
disaster quickly.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator