[CentOS] en01 network

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 15:29:56 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 10:33:55AM -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> > I have installed CentOS 7.
>> > I added "biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0" at install time.
>> >

>> What I've done on Fedora for awhile now.
>>
>> I don't use NetworkManager, so if you are using it, I don't know, it does
>> its own thing to network names.
>>
>> Also, I do this when I have physical access to the machine.
>>
>> First.
>>
>> rpm -e biosdevname  (This should soon not be necessary, at least in
>> Fedora)
>> Then in /etc/default edit grub and add the net.ifnames=0 at the end of the
>> kernel line.
>>
>> Then grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg  which will put it into grub2.
>>
>> Next I go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and name the ifcfg-* file
>> accordingly, and also edit said file from it's if or biosdev name to
>> eth-whatever.
>>
>> This has worked for me since Fedora began doing this.
>>

> Wouldn't there be some configuration changes necessary in the udev net
> rules?
> I can't speak for EL7, but in the past I've had to tweak things there (as
> well as network-scripts) when doing chassis and/or NIC swaps in servers.

I'm catching up on some mail I've not yet read, so ...

In another thread on the date and thread name listed below, Digimer shared
the following URL [0] to her guide.

date: Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 9:53 AMsubject: Re: [CentOS] Renaming NIC name in
CentOS 7

[0]
https://alteeve.ca/w/Changing_Ethernet_Device_Names_in_EL7_and_Fedora_15%2B
[1] https://alteeve.ca/w/Digimer