[CentOS] Centos laptop:: video cards

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Oct 5 08:02:09 UTC 2014

On 10/5/2014 12:48 AM, ken wrote:

> I sincerely *hope* that it isn't some kind of trend that video cards
> are using shared memory instead of dedicated memory on the card
> itself.  All machines I've bought or built  since the late '90s have
> had video cards with a .5G of dedicated memory.  This is mostly
> because video memory is physically different, using static RAM rather
> than dynamic RAM. The former is something like ten times faster than
> the latter.

NO video card uses static ram, at least not since the early 1980s.

the modern CPUs with integrated graphcis controllers such as the Intel
HD4500 stuff is excellent, at least on MS Windows systems. the main
memory controller on these CPUs has HUGE bandwidth, the video display
overhead is lost in the noise unless maybe you're running dual huge
screens.   a dedicated controller might be 2-3X faster or more at 3D
gaming graphics, but its not usefully faster at normal desktop
graphics.   dedicated controllers use significantly more battery power
than integrated ones, a consideration on a portable laptop.