[CentOS] Centos 7: Remove Gnome from GDM options

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sun Oct 5 22:17:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 20:17:45 +0000 (UTC)
Liam O'Toole wrote:

> You could find out what packages the .desktop files belong to (when they
> are back in their original location):
>
> 	rpm -qf /usr/share/xsessions/gnome*
>
> Then remove the corresponding package(s) using yum. Obviously, check for
> the removal of packages which are important to you before you commmit.

Someone give that man a cigar!

yum remove gnome-classic-session gnome-session-xsession

That removes the gnome-classic.desktop,  gnome-custom-session.desktop and gnome.desktop files from the /usr/share/xsessions directory without affecting any gnome or gtk programs.  All that's left in that directory now is mate.desktop, no choices show up on the gdm login screen, mate is the default and only available desktop, and that's the result that I wanted.

Thanks!