[CentOS] Centos laptop:: video cards

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Oct 6 16:28:17 UTC 2014

On 10/6/2014 8:28 AM, Mark Tinberg wrote:
> I don't think that the shared memory integrated cards work that way, the video output has dedicated frame buffer memory so that every screen refresh doesn't go over the main memory bus, what goes over the main bus are all of the graphical assets and commands used to compose the final image, which often need to be shared with the main CPU anyway.

yes, it all goes over the same memory bus, but that bus is so insanely
fast now, that its only using like 1-2% of the total bandwidth to
maintain a medium-high resolution laptop screen, such as 1920x1080 at
60Hz refresh and 24 bit/pixel.    The Intel integrated graphics adapters
are actually integrated into the CPU chip itself, along with the memory
controller.