[CentOS] OT - httpd/conf.d include questions - allowing only some addresses

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Oct 7 13:06:32 UTC 2014

My web searching is not finding out the answers to this, so I turn to
you all here.

I am trying to NOT modify my httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, and only make
changes via includes.  I have done that with a 00-init.conf where I set
things like servername and serveradmin.  Now I want to move my allow and
denies to a 01-allow.conf include.  I tried:

<Directory "/var/www/html">
     Order allow,deny
     deny from all
</Directory>

as that seems to be what is in the default conf, but I see in the error_log:

[Tue Oct 07 08:51:58 2014] [error] [client 208.83.67.156] Directory
index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/

And maybe this is not the right restriction, because when I make this
change directly in the default httpd.conf, I still can get to the
default web page.

Now on to the 'allow' statement.  All syntax examples I have seen for it
follow:

allow from 1.1.1.0/24 1.1.2.0/24 2400:cb00:2048:1::/64

and soforth.  That is each range separated by a space.  But potentially
I have 18 ranges to specify, and at least named makes it easy with each
range on its own line ending with a ';'.  For now I am only putting 2
ranges in, but how does one set up a longer list of allowed ranges?

thanks