[CentOS] OT - httpd/conf.d include questions - allowing only some addresses

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Oct 7 13:47:29 UTC 2014

On 10/07/2014 09:32 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On Tue, October 7, 2014 8:06 am, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> My web searching is not finding out the answers to this, so I turn to
>> you all here.
>>
>> I am trying to NOT modify my httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, and only make
>> changes via includes.  I have done that with a 00-init.conf where I set
>> things like servername and serveradmin.  Now I want to move my allow and
>> denies to a 01-allow.conf include.  I tried:
>>
>> <Directory "/var/www/html">
>>       Order allow,deny
>>       deny from all
>> </Directory>
>>
>> as that seems to be what is in the default conf, but I see in the
>> error_log:
>>
>> [Tue Oct 07 08:51:58 2014] [error] [client 208.83.67.156] Directory
>> index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/
>>
> For apache to automatically generate index, you need to gave the following
> directive:
>
>    Options Indexes
>
> If there is no such directive, and no index.html (or index.php, or
> whichever you described as index in config), you will get that error. Read
> on apache documentation to see how setting for diretory affect
> subdirectories.

Of course, if I am going to preempt the provided directory directive, I
have to have all the needed content.  So I tried:

<Directory "/var/www/html">
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order deny,allow
     allow from 192.84.67.128/255.255.255.0
     deny from all
</Directory>

where the allowed address is not mine, and I still get the default
access page.  Almost like the content later in the default httpd.conf is
overriding my include.

Or is it since I have no provided content, that default screen is coming
from somewhere else...

No, I created a /var/www/html/index.html with only the line 'Hello
World', and it gets displayed.  So my deny,allow is not working...