[CentOS] umount problem

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Oct 7 23:37:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 06:46:17PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Fred Smith wrote:
> >> and has been kept busy during that period.

> >> <snip>
> >> It's under control of autofs. You can open the GUI file manager, and do
> >> a safely remove/eject.
> >>
> >> Or you can stop autofs for a minute, and then umount it.
> >
> > actually, no I can't. if I right-click on seagateusb and click unmount, I
> > get an error box saying "Unable to unmount seagateusb. Cannot unmount
> > because file system on device is busy."
> <snip>
> Ok, try lsof /media/seagateusb - that may tell you what's holding it.
>
> Did you try service autofs stop?

yes, made no difference.

another responder suggests it is journalling block device daemon/
thread/whatever holding the device. looking into that as we speak

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding