[CentOS] CentOS 7 docs, tutorials, etc...

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 8 16:50:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, October 8, 2014 11:18 am, Igal @ getRailo.org wrote:
> On 10/8/2014 9:13 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> Someone had mentioned on this list the following RedHat Enterprise 7
>> (and
>> as you know CentOS is binary replica of RedHat Enterprise with replaced
>> art work):
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/System_Administrators_Guide/part-Basic_System_Configuration.html
> so if I buy RHEL 7 books everything should work as in the book?  part of
> the problem for me is that there aren't many books about CentOS, and the
> ones I found are a few years old
>> This covers CentOS 7 system administration sufficiently well for me (but
>> work with Linux and Unix for over 1.5 decades...).
>>
>> So, if you decided to walk away from Windows, after you master Linux (or
>> maybe simultaneously with starting it), take a look at Unix successors
>> such as FreeBSD (most suitable for servers IMHO, some may recommend
>> OpenBSD for servers, my preference is FreeBSD), NetBSD (most rich with
>> what is ported to build and run on it), PC-BSD - based on FreeBSD, yet
>> made easiest to install workstation whith GUI interface (X11) support.
> I understand, but this is primarily for servers for emails, web, etc.,
> and it is my understanding that CentOS is one of the better
> distributions for that kind of stuff.

I would say, CentOS 6 is the best of Linuxes suitable for server (IMHO).
However, I for one decided to move my servers away from Linux (as from
"Unix-like" Linux gradually becomes "Windows-like" during last 5 years or
so). Since some time ago I do not upgrade Linux systems on servers I
maintain. Instead, when the time comes, I just migrate server from Linux
to FreeBSD, which is much more suitable platform for server than Linux.
Version 7 of RedHat Enterprise or CentOS is much worse than version 6 to
build server on. Again, this is just my humble opinion. If I absolutely
have to build server on today's latest Linux, I will choose Debian, which
at least doesn't have systemd yet. But it will have it in next release...

Again, this is just $0.02 worth of my own opinion, definitely not a
consensus (and likely not even a majority opinion) on this list.

Valeri

>> Just my $0.02
>>
>> Valeri
> Thank you for your 2 :)
>
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> Valeri Galtsev
>> Sr System Administrator
>> Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
>> Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
>> University of Chicago
>> Phone: 773-702-4247
>
> --
> Igal Sapir