[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:06:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> anyways, cars are not a good analogy to computers over the same time scale,
> unless you want to go back to the days of the model T, where the 3 pedals
> operated clutch bands on a planetary transmission, and the throttle and
> ignition timing were levers on the steering wheel, and the brakes were a
> hand lever.

I'd compare those to the pre-sysV unix system designs.  Where sysV
became the standard to follow - or copy pretty explicitly like linux
distributions did.  Which was why we used them.

> computers have evolved far faster than automobiles over the last 40 years
> that I've been in this industry.   maybe I should start whining about lower
> case, and these damn interactive guis, after all hollerith punchcards and
> batch processing was good enough in the 1970s!   Why, we could get amazing
> stuff done with 8K words of core, and a 1000K word hard disk.

So now we have hardware hundreds of times faster, and you are trying
to tell me it can't do the same thing in a backward compatible way???

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com