[CentOS] CentOS 7 docs, tutorials, etc...

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Oct 8 19:51:55 UTC 2014

On 10/8/2014 3:16 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>:
>
>> On 10/8/2014 12:50 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>>
>>> I would say, CentOS 6 is the best of Linuxes suitable for server (IMHO).
>>> However, I for one decided to move my servers away from Linux (as from
>>> "Unix-like" Linux gradually becomes "Windows-like" during last 5 years or
>>> so). Since some time ago I do not upgrade Linux systems on servers I
>>> maintain. Instead, when the time comes, I just migrate server from Linux
>>> to FreeBSD, which is much more suitable platform for server than Linux.
>>> Version 7 of RedHat Enterprise or CentOS is much worse than version 6 to
>>> build server on. Again, this is just my humble opinion. If I absolutely
>>> have to build server on today's latest Linux, I will choose Debian, which
>>> at least doesn't have systemd yet. But it will have it in next release...
>> What changes have you seen that affect using CentOS as a server?
>> Sure, the GUI has changed over the years to be more like Windows,
>> but most of my servers don't even have a GUI installed.  I have
>> servers running CentOS 4, 5, 6, and 7.  The only differences I can
>> think of between 4 and 7 that affect server administration are
>> selinux and systemd.  Selinux can be easily disabled if you don't
>> want to deal with it.  I don't like systemd at the moment, but
>> that's at least partially due to only having worked with it for a
>> couple of weeks so far.  The more I use it, the more I get used to
>> it.  So far, it seems easy enough to use once you figure out the new
>> commands and file locations.
> And the RAID setup is MUCH easier and more rational, really nice to use.

Interesting.  I built my CentOS 7 server with a raid 1 mirror.  I found
the raid setup in the installer to be confusing and very non-intuitive.
I don't remember having any problems with it in previous versions.

--
Bowie