[CentOS] Actual complaining: nixspam

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Oct 8 20:50:56 UTC 2014

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:04:49 -0400
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> a) I will not use gmail. End of that suggestion.
>
> Ok.  There are numerous other providers available.  I'm sure you can find
> them as easily as I can.  You also have the rcn.com email address in your
> whois record.

Wait, I have *what*? How did you find that? I mean, the last time I was on
rcn was, I think, '09, if not '03.

>> b) What assurance do I have that whoever I chose won't wind up with the
>> same problem, given that, as I mentioned, a dozen years ago, they were
>> blocking a good part of the city of Chicago?
>
> What assurance do you have that your house won't burn down tonight?  This
> is basic problem solving.  You have an issue, you do your best to solve
> the problem,. If the fix you tried doesn't work you move on to try
> something else.
>
> You have posted complaints without solving the problem.  Now try a using a

I agree. Note that I also cc'd centos-owner on the original post. The
problem is that nixspam's idea of how to block spam, as I argued, is 15
years out of date.

By the way, IX, the German magazine that runs nixspam, doesn't respond to
emails, either. *THEY* are the problem, not my hosting provider (which,
their support tells me, does work with nixspam, and pays a nice chunk of
change every time they're blocked.

        mark