[CentOS] CentOS 5.11 / Firefox 31 -- totally borked...

Lars Hecking lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 9 20:40:10 UTC 2014

Robert Heller writes:
> OK, I just updated my two CentOS 5 boxes (my laptop and by desktop) and
> discoved that FF 31 is totally borked -- it seems not to be possible to
> install either Firebug (either 2.0.4 or 1.12.8) or Firefox 2, the theme
> reloaded (1.0.8). These two addons are critical to me. So I have snaged the FF
> 24.8.0 rpms from the CentOS 5 vault and downgraded to this version and blocked
> further updates of FF.

 I was going to post about this earlier, but got distracted ...

 Add-ons are totally broken on C5/ff31. All of them download, some of them
 continue to install (without the installation progress bar showing any
 signs of it), and for most add-ons, nothing happens after that. Sometimes,
 the add-on will install when the manual installation option is selected and
 the downloaded /tmp/xxx.xpi file chosen, but most of the time this does not
 work either. This also prevents updating of add-ons.

 What does seem to work is to log into a C6 box to install add-ons, no such
 problems there.