[CentOS] CentOS 7 docs, tutorials, etc...

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 10 18:52:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, October 10, 2014 1:30 pm, William Woods wrote:
> Then we are pretty much in agreement here, regarding the claims made
> by the other member of the list, I do think if you are going to make a
> claim  and state it as if it is fact, you should back it up

Well, I know what claim you mean (which was not mine...) As far as google
is concerned, I have my own reservations, which I'm not going to talk
about.

To change the subject completely: one day I thought about this. In the
past one needed to recruit spies. These days if I were a head on one of
these intelligence agencies I would do it much cheaper and more efficient.
I would invest (just make a grant) big time in great nice IT startup
company. And keep adding $$ in. Have them roll out free services,
applications, everything. And information will trickle to me at much lower
cost, I only would need to build huge storage center, and apply enormous
computing power to process this information. I'm sure at least IBM has
similar thoughts about free applications/services (at least that's what
I've heard).

For what it's worth, those are just abstract thoughts, any coincidence
that my thoughts might cause in your mind are pure coincidense, purely on
your side, and have nothing do with any real subject, person, etc...

Putting my pointy hat back on...

Valeri

>> On Oct 10, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Fri, October 10, 2014 1:07 pm, William Woods wrote:
>>> Not at all, and please don’t tell me what I prefer, All I prefer is
>>> that
>>> people try to be homiest, you are right all software has bugs, but to
>>> imply in any way that
>>> open source is better is a misnomer.
>>>
>>> I use open source, closed source, whatever tool fits the job, I don’t
>>> belong
>>> to any specific church re: software, nor am I a closed/open source
>>> zealot.
>>>
>>> I know its kinda hard for people to accept someone on a centos mailing
>>> list would
>>> use closed source, I am sorry some of you purists are offended.
>>
>> No, I'm happy and not offended at all. And it turns out we do pretty
>> much
>> the same thing. I do use closed source wherever it does the job, and for
>> tasks that are not cover by open source. Some closed source software is
>> great. But wherever I do want to save brain figuring out what to use for
>> the task that has highest demands in security... you already know my
>> answer.
>>
>> Valeri

>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> Valeri Galtsev
>> Sr System Administrator
>> Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
>> Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
>> University of Chicago
>> Phone: 773-702-4247

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator