[CentOS] Linux on an ancient Macintosh G5?

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 15:55:58 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM, dan stoicheff <danstoicheff at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone experienced the conversion of the aluminum chassis Mac G5 to a
> Linux box? Curious in Pennsylvania.

You can run some flavor of GNU/Linux on it ... one that is built or can be
built for PowerPC / PowerPC64 architecture.
CentOS does not have a port for PPC or PPC64.

I think you'll find that PPC and PPC64 interest declined once Apple
switched to shipping hardware with Intel CPUs.
I had two used PPC devices (a desktop and XServe) at one point, but none
were worth my time as they were seriously dated.

[0]
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active
[1]
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=ppc64&status=Active

> I need to obtain the power cable somewhere to try it.
> It is a 64-bit monster,  so seems like it is worth trying if I can
> find the weird cable it needs. No luck to date regarding the cable.
> Thanks.
>
> The Bears will never win until number six leaves.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //