[CentOS] Hiding a network printer

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Oct 13 22:23:39 UTC 2014

On 10/13/2014 3:15 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> If they are Linux do they connect with CUPS or LPR or what?
> The Centos default printer setup is cups.
>
> All of the shared printers that are connected to the print server machine just show up by magic when I run the system-config-printer command on the client machines.
>
> My objective is to make one of those printers disappear on some of the client machines, without making it disappear on the other client machines.

ok, thats probably via the CUPS Browsing protocol,
https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/spec-browsing.html

ouch.   CUPS printers are announced with UDP broadcasts.   thats no fun
to filter, since the one packet is sent to ALL stations at the same
time.   you could filter it at the client, but not at the server.   its
udp port 631 by default.