[CentOS] CentOS 6.4 kernel panic on boot after upgrading kernel to 2.6.32-431.29.2

Joakim Ziegler joakim at terminalmx.com
Tue Oct 14 08:38:31 UTC 2014

On 14/10/14, 3:32, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:

> Joakim Ziegler <joakim at terminalmx.com> a écrit :

>> Ok, so is that a confirmation that installing this kernel, even though it
>> might be "for 6.5" should not in itself break anything, and that it should boot?

> Every RH errata contains the following text:
> « Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
> relevant to your system have been applied. »

> And that’s the case for that kernel:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2014-1167.html

> So, imho, just yum update and reboot. You’ll be at 6.5 and far more safer.

Yeah, I might end up doing that. However, this is a system that runs proprietary
software that explicitly runs on 6.4, so I was trying to avoid upgrading everything.

Oh well. It won't be the first time I make this particular propritary system run
on a distro it doesn't officially support, they were stuck on CentOS 5 for the
longest time, and I made it work on 6.3 before they got with the times.

--
Joakim Ziegler  -  Supervisor de postproducción  -  Terminal
joakim at terminalmx.com   -   044 55 2971 8514   -   5264 0864