[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Oct 14 19:10:56 UTC 2014

On Oct 14, 2014, at 12:19 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> But, I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't done a raspberry-pi
> type device that boots directly into x2go and comes out cheaper than a
> video card per seat.  Haven't needed one badly enough to build it
> myself yet.

It should be trivial to set up an actual RPi to do that.

One of the options during installation is to boot into text mode instead of graphical mode.  Once it’s booted, add the x2go startup commands in /etc/rc.local.

Done, no?

Any dedicated hardware to do that will be considerably more expensive than an RPi.

First, the RPi benefits from massive scale.  They’ve moved millions of the things.  Dedicated x2go boxes will sell units on the scale of Wyse terminals, and consequently be relatively expensive.

Second, the RPi is set up as a nonprofit educational foundation.  The last link or two in the chain does make a bit of money on it, but you aren’t paying for R&D or profit to the foundation.  And, the last links in the chain can’t make a *lot* of money on RPis because they’re competing against the foundation itself, which sets a ceiling on how expensive a Pi can be through their Element14 relationship.