[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 21:18:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

>> The beauty of the original K12LTSP respin was that just
>> you did a normal fill-in-the-form install pretty much like any
>> fedora/centos
>
> If you insist on having a whole OS dedicated to this, I guess you could go fork Raspbian (http://www.raspbian.org/) and add this stuff to the installer.

I'm not insisting on anything, I just don't see a typical classroom
teacher doing that - in addition to knowing what to set up on the
server side to match.  Where they could just follow some simple
instructions with the LTSP install and come up working.

> Even over the scale of a whole school district, I’d think maintaining a Raspbian fork just to get the x2go config into the installation process would be more difficult.

Agreed, but K12LTSP worked mostly as-is for a lot of districts.

> If you’re waiting for someone else to do the work, you may be sitting there waiting for a long time.  One of the rules of the game that the Pi changes is the value of centralized computing.  30 seats times $40 (including PSU) pretty much balances out the cost of the central server.

I don't need it myself - I'm just surprised that someone hasn't done
it already in a way that would be useful without everyone having to
start from scratch themselves.   And maybe that's not even the best
approach - maybe a 'fat' client with NFS-mounted or cloud-like storage
would be better if there is an automated way to keep it up to date
without letting the user modify things.   I guess these days you'd
have to balance the cost of administering the things against buying a
chromebook.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com