[CentOS] OT: Would you purchase this hardware?

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 23:42:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 10/14/2014 3:39 PM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
>
>> I have about $1200 to spend on 2 boxes and I'd like them to be identical.
>> Very basic web serving, simple HTML5 video, light email serving. Looking
>> around NewEgg, I come across:
>>

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&
> DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hp+microserver+gen8&N=-1&isNodeId=1
>
> nice low power efficient boxes that hold 4 3.5" SATA hard drives. you can
> put up to 2 x 8GB dimms in them, and they have 1 short PCI-e slot.

@John Pierce (or anyone else who knows):

Isn't the iLO access on the HP Microservers restricted once an OS is
installed on the device? [0]

I read somewhere about needing to purchase an iLO license to allow full
functionality.  I got the impression that the iLO functionality that was
available was really only helpful for installing an OS ... and not for
Serial Over LAN once the OS was installed.  (Is that right or wrong?)

Best I recall the author did not mention anything about a RAC card (so it
was not likely that separate part/device).

[0]
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=ILO_TRIALS

--
Mike