[CentOS] machine check exception

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 15:29:36 UTC 2014

You have (AFAIK) provided no details as to which version of CentOS you are
running nor of your hardware, but I'll try to help as I can. (In fact, it is
unclear whether the MCE crashed your system or not!) I had a set of systems
that occasionally logged MCEs (memory partity errors, in my case), and spent a
month tearing into them.

First, make sure that "mcelog" is installed on your system. If you are running
64-bit CentOS 6, you should be able to "yum install mcelog". If you are
running 32-bit CentOS 6 or CentOS 5, you'll have to download mcelog from the
source (http://www.mcelog.org) and install it yourself, but if that is the
case, let me know and I'll send further help. (I don't know about CentOS 7.)

Second, make sure mcelogd is running at all times using system-config-services
or chkconfig.

Once you have done these two things, the next time you see an MCE, you should
get an entry in /var/log/mcelog. This will tell you a LOT more about the MCE.
Post the MCE here and/or Email it to me (I skim the digest and may miss a
single post), and we can break it down further from there.

[In my case, changing the memory had no effect on the MCEs, nor did any
number of other suggested solutions; I eventually decided that since they were
"corrected memory parity errors", and thus non-fatal to processes or the
system, I would ignore them. And as of the last kernel update, I don't see
them any more, though I have not dug more deeply to see if there was some
causal connection.]

-G.

--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory