[CentOS] creating a floppy image from a linux file

Dan Hyatt

dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu
Fri Oct 17 20:55:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am still trying to get kick-start centos in my vmware5 because pxe
cannot find the pxe server. I do not control the dhcp or pxe server.
I have both my kickstart file and my iso image for centos6.5 on my
vmware datastore, but am trying to run my kickstart file from VMware guest.

Can I tell the command line to run from the datastore in VMWare? Or must
I convert my kickstart file to a floppy image to run from VMware console?

I have the centos image on the DVD mounted from my datastore.  Now I
need to convert the kickstart file to a floppy image to mount on the
server from my datastore

This is what google and VMWare keeps telling me but it does not make
sense unless I am copying off a floppy....
What I am trying to do is turn the kickstart file into a floppy image so
I can kickstart off the floppy in vmware.

Create a disk image from the physical drive:
cat /dev/fd0 > imagefile.img

Copy image to the physical drive:
cat imagefile.img > /dev/fd0

Help figuring out that silly little piece that is keeping me from
building a VM guest from my kickstart file is much appreciated.

Dan