[CentOS] creating a floppy image from a linux file

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 22:10:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Dan Hyatt <dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am still trying to get kick-start centos in my vmware5 because pxe
> cannot find the pxe server. I do not control the dhcp or pxe server.

Bummer.

> I have both my kickstart file and my iso image for centos6.5 on my vmware
> datastore, but am trying to run my kickstart file from VMware guest.

Include your ks file as part of your ISO image.

> Can I tell the command line to run from the datastore in VMWare? Or must I
> convert my kickstart file to a floppy image to run from VMware console?

The vmware datastore is not a supported medium for retrieving a kickstart
file (http and others are).

Include your ks as part of your ISO .. which means unpacking, add files,
and repacking the ISO.

> I have the centos image on the DVD mounted from my datastore.  Now I need
> to convert the kickstart file to a floppy image to mount on the server from
> my datastore
>

> This is what google and VMWare keeps telling me but it does not make sense
> unless I am copying off a floppy....
> What I am trying to do is turn the kickstart file into a floppy image so I
> can kickstart off the floppy in vmware.
>
> Create a disk image from the physical drive:
> cat /dev/fd0 > imagefile.img
>
> Copy image to the physical drive:
> cat imagefile.img > /dev/fd0
>
> Help figuring out that silly little piece that is keeping me from building
> a VM guest from my kickstart file is much appreciated.

* And John Pierce's suggestion to create your own PXE virtual network is a
flexible and more ideal scenario in my opinion.

--
Mike