[CentOS] KVM does not start anymore

Bernd Bartmann bernd.bartmann at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 08:42:54 UTC 2014

Some more findings:

All other VMs on the host system still work fine (Win7 32, Win7 64, C6 64,
Ubuntu 64) only this C7 64 VM won't fully boot anymore.
During the boot process of the VM I'm getting this message in
/var/log/messages on the host system:

kernel: kvm [8346]: vcpu0 disabled perfctr wrmsr: 0xc1 data 0xffff

After that message appears the VM screen goes blank with just the blinking
cursor and nothing happens anymore.
Googling around for that message seems to indicate that this is just a
warning, but I could not find a real solution for this.

Now I'm stuck.

Best regards,
Bernd