[CentOS] rsync question: building list taking forever

Tim Dunphy

bluethundr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:55:24 UTC 2014

Guys,

 I've setup an rsync between two directories that I've mounted locally on a
jump box. Long story short, the two directories are both NFS shares from
two different hosts. Our security dept won't allow us to SSH between the
two data centers, directly. But the jump host can contact both. So what
I've done is mount the NFS shares from one host in each data center on the
jump box using sshfs.

The directory I'm trying to rsync from has 111GB of data in it. I don't
think I've ever setup an rsync for quite so much data before.

 But I started the rsync at approx. 7pm last night. And as of now the rsync
is still building it's file list.

[root at sshproxygw ~]# rsync -avzp /mnt/db_space/timd/www1/
/mnt/db_space/timd/www2/svn2/
building file list ...

So my question to you is, is this a normal amount of time to wait for the
file list to be built? Considering the amount of data involved. I have it
running in a screen session I can attach to to find out what's going on.

Thanks
Tim

--
GPG me!!