[CentOS] rsync question: building list taking forever

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:49:22 UTC 2014

> ... and remember to use tcp for nfs transfer ;)

Hmm you mean specify tcp for rsync? I thought that's default. But holy
crap, you were right about it taking a long time to build a file list! The
rsync just started a few minutes ago... !

dumps/dotmedia.031237.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031238.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031239.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031240.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031241.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031242.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031243.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031244.svndmp
dumps/dotmedia.031245.svndmp

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi>
wrote:

> >> Guys,
> >>
> >>  I've setup an rsync between two directories that I've mounted locally
> on
> >> jump box. Long story short, the two directories are both NFS shares from
> >> two different hosts. Our security dept won't allow us to SSH between the
> >> two data centers, directly. But the jump host can contact both. So what
> >> I've done is mount the NFS shares from one host in each data center on
> the
> >> jump box using sshfs.
> >>
> >> The directory I'm trying to rsync from has 111GB of data in it. I don't
> >> think I've ever setup an rsync for quite so much data before.
> >>
> >>  But I started the rsync at approx. 7pm last night. And as of now the
> >> rsync
> >> is still building it's file list.
> >>
> >> [root at sshproxygw ~]# rsync -avzp /mnt/db_space/timd/www1/
> >> /mnt/db_space/timd/www2/svn2/
> >> building file list ...
> >>
> >> So my question to you is, is this a normal amount of time to wait for
> the
> >> file list to be built? Considering the amount of data involved. I have
> it
> >> running in a screen session I can attach to to find out what's going on.
> >>

> > Regerating rsync file list can take a very long time :/
> >
> > Make sure that you are using fast link on both ends and at least version
> 3
> > of rsync.
> >

> ... and remember to use tcp for nfs transfer ;)
>
> --
> Eero

GPG me!!