[CentOS] Filesystem writes unexpectedly slow (CentOS 6.4)

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 19:34:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Joakim Ziegler <joakim at terminalmx.com>
wrote:

> On 16/10/14, 15:35, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>>     I missed the beginning of this thread - how is the filesystem mounted?
>> For ext4, we finally found that it worked well... *if* it was mounted
>> nobarrier. That made the detar of a compressed tar file go from
>> literally 7 minutes to about 30-46 seconds.
>>

> That is interesting. I have barriers enabled, I will try disabling them (I
> have battery backup on the RAID controller, so it should be ok). Then
> again, I have barriers enabled on the other, very similar box too, and I
> hit 2GB/sec there, so I don't think that's the main factor. Still, will
> test. Thanks.

Have you tried swapping disks from the bad performing system into the
chassis of the one that performs as expected?
Or move the RAID hardware if that's easier.

One would think if it's a OS configuration issue the problem would follow
the OS/disks (or RAID controller if you swap that instead).  It's a pain,
but you're probably close to that as a last resort to narrow down your
problem.

--
Mike