[CentOS] And now for something completely different. Win7 on KVM

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Oct 27 14:05:31 UTC 2014

OK.  We are golden with respect to getting the network reactivated on the
Windows guest.  One down, infinity to go.  Thanks for the help.

There was one wrinkle in all this.  I had to log on to the guest as a local
administrator to configure the nic driver. Windows explorer (not IE) reported
a server error when I logged in as the domain admin and tried to open the
computer management window.

Explorer.exe server execution failed.

And in consequence I could do absolutely nothing until I logged in with a
local user profile.

This is apparently due to the fact that Win7 handles roaming user profiles
somewhat differently than WinXp. Evidently, if you do not have a network
connection to a remote user profile then the OS chokes.  Just a heads up for
anyone else in this situation.

Canada  L8E 3C3