[CentOS] "No free sectors available" while try to extend logical volumen in a virtual machine running CentOS 6.5

reynierpm at gmail.com reynierpm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:42:22 UTC 2014

Hi SilverTip nice answer and very helpful, I'll try to get some more help
here since as I said in the main post I'm not an expert on Linux or a
Administrator I'm just a developer trying to setup a development enviroment
so ...

It's telling you the truth.
> Sounds like you want another Logical Volume (LV) not partition.

You're right, what I need is a new LV but how I do that?

> Sounds like you destroyed one or more of your LVs through all this.

Probable and I'm pretty sure I do it :-(

> Please read the following documentation before forging further ahead.
> And you might spin up a VM or live CD to experiment with LVM operations
> before going any further as well.
> - speaks about extents [0]
> - read the entire Chapter 2 on LVM [1] as it applies to your scenario (ex:
> snapshots probably don't)
>  - dated/older, but it may prove helpful [2]
>
> [0]
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/lv_overview.html
> [1]
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/LVM_components.html
> [2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/LVM-HOWTO/

Fine, I read it but know doubts persist on my mind. First, I'm running OS
in a Vmware Workstation VM and I'll not like to loose every I have there
since then I'll need to reconfigure all from scratch but if there is not
another option to save my mess the we should go through it. Now I'm almost
sure what I need here is a "Linear Volumes" configuration why? Well because
my VM disks have 30GB in first and now I resize it to 80GB and that's the
space I want to see in my Linux and can't get it. In order to get it
working again, what steps I should follow? That's my concern and what I've
clear at all

Thanks