[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS-7 on a new partition

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Oct 28 09:45:52 UTC 2014

On 10/27/2014 09:08 PM, Ted Miller wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 10:35 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Ted Miller wrote:
>>
>>> I have not tried an upgrade, but it sounds like they put the work into
>>> making server upgrades easier, but did not (or could not) make it as
>>> easy
>>> for desktop installations.  Most people paying license fees are covering
>>> servers.
>>
>> I got the impression that the CentOSUpgradeTool was a CentOS project,
>> rather than an RHEL one?
>
> Here is the page describing the RHEL tool they based the Centos tool on:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/sect-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Upgrade_Tools-RednbspHat_Upgrade_Tool.html
>

> I think Centos may have extended it based on their testing, but it is
> all based on work the RHEL did, so it comes with the same basic structure.
>
> I don't know if there are any tools that would perform this particular
> upgrade on Gnome or KDE.  They have both changed so drastically that
> translation from old configuration files to new ones would require
> overwhelming machine intelligence, and it just isn't worth it.  In
> another context, when the new version development of both GUIs wasn't
> moving so fast, it might work fine.  That just isn't this year.  If you
> don't believe me, just go read all the mailing list traffic asking "How
> do I set ... on Gnome?  I used to know exactly what to do, but what I
> knew doesn't work any more."

Gnome/KDE can not be upgraded in place, at least not without removing
and then reinstalling Gnome/KDE.

Here is the wiki page on the upgrade tool:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool

You can do things like:

yum grouplist

Then remove groups like Gnome and KDE, then upgrade, then groupinstall
Gnome or KDE after the upgrade.

I have run upgrades on several test VMs and they did upgrade, but I
don't think I would upgrade anything in production in place.  And this
is not just advise I would give for CentOS .. I would also not upgrade
anything in place (Not Windows from XP to Win7 to Win8 .. not any
version of Linux from one major version to another, etc.).  But thats
just me ... I find it much smoother in the long run to reinstall and
move data.

Thanks,
Johnny hughes