[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:44:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, October 29, 2014 9:28 am, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.10.2014 um 15:22 schrieb Valeri Galtsev:

>>> +100
>>
>> Me too. I was [mistakenly, apparently] always considering 5.[n+1],
>> 6.[m+1]
>> just re-spins, thus providing latest packages with _backported_ security
>> patches/bugfixes, aimed at providing installation media that is not
>> entail
>> millions of updates. "Releases" with newer versions, drivers included in
>> kernel shuffled, the new kernel (without any necessity in it) which
>> causes
>> hassle to reboot the box... This all effectively defeats the
>> "Enterprise"
>> portion of the name of the system, doesn't it?
>
> if you think there is no necessity for the new kernel who is forcing you
> to reboot?

I like that "If" clause of yours... Basically, if one thinks he knows more
than system vendor, he is just schizophrenic. And we, normal people, do
give schizophrenics a privilege to be on their own. As we, normal people
know that if the distro maintainers had to update kernel, they had a
reason (otherwise, something else breaks). So, we are left running _this_
system, even though it's stressful, still not as stressful as running
"bleeding edge" fedora, right? ;-)

Valeri

> "enterprise OS" is nothing about never ever reboot, it's
> about API/ABI stability

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago