[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 29 21:33:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, October 29, 2014 4:18 pm, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.10.2014 um 22:12 schrieb Valeri Galtsev:

>>> 	What? Stressful?? Fedora??? Naaahhh ...
>>
>> I'm sorry, apart from my laptop, I also run servers. And services are
>> supposed to be up 24/7. And a bunch of people are always logged in...
>> You
>> do the math
>
> you where the one calling kernel updates necessity, so just ignore them
> or face the truth - your choice
>
> so what - if you need 24/7 than invest time and money and build up a
> infrsatsructure wehre you can reboot a node for updates without taking
> the services offline or just realize that 15-20 seconds downtime in the
> middle of the night doing way less harm then ignore security updates

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I do not feel justified to use
Department's money (for extra hardware), so I invested just my time. And
built servers based on FreeBSD, services run in different jails, etc. So,
you can imagine how much I am hit by the need to reboot into updated Linux
kernel, do you? Note, you will not find Linux kernel running of FreeBSD
box (just teasing ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator