[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 29 23:40:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, October 29, 2014 6:32 pm, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Valeri Galtsev
> <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:

>> kernel,
>> >
>> >       What? Stressful?? Fedora??? Naaahhh ...
>>
>> I'm sorry, apart from my laptop, I also run servers. And services are
>> supposed to be up 24/7. And a bunch of people are always logged in...
>> You
>> do the math.
>>
>> This is a corner that system administrators have allowed themselves to
>> be
> painted into. It's not a law of nature. Civilized organisations will
> always
> allow a maintenance Window. In the Windows world it is not an issue.
> Servers can be rebooted with much more freedom than in the Linux/Unix
> world.

Yes, indeed. Those are blasted Unix sysadmins (Hm, I flatter myself by
thinking of being one too) that push themselves into being too responsible
to their users... No, I don't think Unix admins will start into the
direction of Windows world, sorry. I don't even like Windows world
mentioned as an example for Unix world! (Don't take me too literally,
everybody welcomes good things "other worlds" have...)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago