[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 equivalents in CentOS 7

Always Learning centos at u62.u22.net
Thu Oct 30 14:04:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-30 at 12:38 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Incidentally, since I started using Linux I have always found iptables
> to have a very user-unfriendly syntax. Whenever I needed to tweak the
> firewall, I had to look up the man page for iptables, in order to make
> sure I don't screw myself over between -A and -I, -N and -n, -P and -p,
> etc. It was a royal pain having to pay attention to the order of the
> rules in the table. It was stupid having to look up explicit port
> numbers for common services. Various GUIs and TUIs of the time only
> added a whole new level of obscurity.
>
> And no, I am not a novice user from Windowsland --- I've been Linux-only
> since RedHat 6.2 (Zoot), back in the previous millennium... ;-)

Hi Marko,

I started a few years earlier about the time of Centos 5.3

The order of rules in any IPtables table is pure common sense and very
logical. Essentially, the first rule is the first action. The second
rule is the second action etc.

Generally, in simple terms, a rule can block, accept or permanently go
to another table (go) or perform another table (jump).

-A = append at the end of a table
-I = insert into a table at a specified line number (default line 1)
-N = create new table
-Z = zeroise a table's count (and in later editions the count on an
individual table entry)
-F = delete all a table's entries
-p = tcp/icmp/udp etc.

I created helpful routines and abbreviations:

ipt = iptables

.i
	iptables -nvL $1 --line-numbers
	echo '----> '$1;

sv = service, used in 'sv ipt save'

Linux is extremely customisable.

The firewall-cmd syntax appears to me to be dumbing-down and
de-skilling. It hides the technical information behind the command, to
the detriment of the technical user.

In IPtables

	-A 4web -p tcp --dport 81 -j ACCEPT

In firewall-cmd

	firewall-cmd --add-service=http

but that refers to port 80. Hence IPtables is a lot more flexible. The
contrast is like playing a piano without gloves and then wearing boxing
gloves - the precision has vanished.

An informed user derives more from his computer system than someone who
uses the 'dumb-down' simplified pre-packaged alternative - especially
when there is a problem.

--
Best regards,

Paul.