[CentOS] Centos7 Annoyances

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Fri Oct 31 01:19:07 UTC 2014

On 10/31/2014 01:45 AM, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I'm sure the Centos team has done a yeoman's job getting Centos7 ready,
> and that the Redhat team has done marvels in creating rhel7, but here's
> a little voice from a personal hobbyist user.
>
> Background:
>   ('ve been maintaining several remote servers since Redhat 6 days,
> migrating from that to Whitebox, then Centos, and things have been
> running as expected including the current version of Centos6.  As an
> experiment, I've tried to play with Centos7 on an in-house virtual
> machine (VMWare on Win7), and have encountered a collection of
> annoyances greater than I've even seen.  Below is a note about them.  If
> someone has some elegant solution, I'd love to try, but Centos7 is still
> unusable for me.
>
> 1:  Firewall changes
>   The change in firewall technology forced a complete re-do of my
> scripts which maintain firewalls, respond to attacks, etc.  I think I've
> programmed my way around the issues, but it wasn't easy.

I used Shorewall on 5.x and 6.x so on 7.x I just disabled firewalld and
installed shorewall. Btw. I haven't even tried to learn firewalld, to
confusing and too lite time to waste.

> 2:  Apache changes
>   These were subtle, but again were solved.
>
> 3:  Service -> systemd
>   The change from object-oriented view of service:  (service httpd
> restart) to function-oriented (systemctl restart firewall) seems to be
> unnecessary, and counter to the way stuff is generally done in the
> modern world.  Nonetheless, it was possible to solve that with some
> adaptive script programming.

For me "service httpd restart" works just fine, automatic conversion
works like a charm. I do get informed what command was run, but it DOES
it's job.

> 4) Something with Unknown lvalue 'ControlGroup' in section 'Service'
>   I don't know what to do with this.  I constantly get the diagnostic:
>     [/usr/lib/systemd/system/rtkit-daemon.service:32] Unknown lvalue
> 'ControlGroup' in section 'Service'
>   and attempts to browse the internet for solutions come across barriers
> that require some paid subscription to view.  This is currently a
> progress-stopper.  The messages I see deal with boinc, which does not
> show up on my system using "rpm -qa | grep -i boinc".
>
> 5) Sendmail is out, postfix is in.
>   This is a huge change, since I had lots of scripts that tailored the
> Sendmail system for spam protection, dealing with SmartHosts that
> required SMTP-AUTH and others required weird configurations, etc.
> Whether this is working yet I don't quite know, but it seems the scripts
> can accommodate the change.

I have been using Postfix from 5.x. The fact that you chose to use
obsolete (from Red Hat's point of view) software should be on no one but
you.

> 6) Installation
>   I have no idea why, when using the net-install, one must explicitly
> turn on the network.  It seems unnecessary.
>
> 7) Lack of 32-bit support
>   I think I understand this.  After all, 32-bit machines may become
> "unusable" when the clock overflows, but isn't that a few years away,
> and couldn't some solution be found, even if kludgy?  Some of the 32-bit
> hardware was of very high quality, and still runs perfectly.  I'd hate
> to spend a few hundred dollars each to replace all those systems.
>
> 8) And more

I would add idiotic Gnome 3 that does not have right click menu for
creating launchers (copying .desktop files from /usr/share/applications?
works like a charm but you need to create them manually for every
launcher) and inability to place launchers and icons on top panel as
infuriating.

Gnome extensions from Tweak Tool are very helpful in making Gnome 3 like
home. I use about 10 of them. Adding Start Launcher tool is one of them.