[CentOS] Centos7 Annoyances

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Oct 31 01:33:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 05:45:58PM -0700, david wrote:
> 1:  Firewall changes

Remove firewalld; install iptables.  Problem solved.  This has been
discussed ad nauseum on this list recently.

> 2:  Apache changes
Not RedHat specific issues; that's just progress from upstream.

> 3:  Service -> systemd
This one _is_ nasty; it means you didn't properly use upstart in RH6,
but then again who did?  We all stuck with standard init scripts :-)

> 5) Sendmail is out, postfix is in.

Only a default; sendmail is still there to install if you need it.

> 7) Lack of 32-bit support
>  I think I understand this.  After all, 32-bit machines may become
> "unusable" when the clock overflows, but isn't that a few years away,

You've misunderstood kernel support and "type" support.  We've had 64bit
filesizes for many years on 32bit kernels.  Changing time_t to 64bits
is independent of the hardware being 32 or 64 bit.

Basically, RHEL is Enterprise (the E); very very few enterprises have
32bit machines any more.

--

rgds
Stephen