[CentOS] Centos7 Annoyances

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Oct 31 18:05:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, October 30, 2014 21:30, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 05:45:58PM -0700, david wrote:
>> 5) Sendmail is out, postfix is in.
>>  This is a huge change, since I had lots of scripts that tailored
>> the Sendmail system for spam protection, dealing with SmartHosts
>> that required SMTP-AUTH and others required weird configurations,
>> etc.  Whether this is working yet I don't quite know, but it seems
>> the scripts can accommodate the change.
>
> FYI, you can install sendmail, it's still available if you want it,
> it is just no longer the default:
>
> 	yum install sendmail
>
> someday when I move my home system (combined workstation, play-on-it
> system, and server) to EL7 I'll be installing Sendmail, simply because
> I want to "leverage" all the pain I went through over the years to
> create my own sendmail.mc file, and don't feel like going thru it
> again with another MTA.

You are doing yourself a disservice.  We moved from Sendmail to Postfix when
RH made Postfix the default for new installs on EL6.  For a while it was
somewhat confusing. But, after a brief if painful period of adjustment, the
ease of maintaining Postfix when compared to the complexity and contortions
necessary to get similar things done in Sendmail more than justified the pain
of converting.

This past year for example we added DKIM and SPF to our outgoing hub and it
took virtually no effort to do it.  Most of what effort was expended was in
discovering just what these two things were and how Postfix was configured to
make them work.  The actual configuration was trivial.

We are still running a Sendmail instance on our external MX and I would not
dream of touching it to make a similar change at this point.  With Postfix we
only required a few direct edits to a couple of well documented text files.
With Sendmail we have to deal with m4 macros and milters.  No thanks.

Canada  L8E 3C3