[CentOS] Actual complaining: nixspam

Wed Oct 8 19:48:16 UTC 2014

John accused me of complaining about systemd... this here's *real*
complaining.

Several times every month, my email starts getting bounced by freakin'
nixspam, because my giant hosting provider, that hosts millions of
domains. Akemi has argued that nixspam works just fine (if so, then why
did we get that spam a few weeks ago?).

I've politely requested being put on a whitelist, and been politely
ignored. I'd also be very surprised if that was not configurable.

I've also argued that nixspam's idea of how to block spam is 15 years out
of date. More than a dozen years ago, Cogeco was using them, and I was
unable to email a close friend in Canada, because of that, and there was
no way to get me off the list. And... at the time, my provider was
roadrunner, a division of the multinational Time-Warner, and in my area of
Chicago, like many areas of Chicago at the time, they were THE ONLY ISP,
having bought up or driven out of business all others. This meant that not
just me, but tens of thousands of others in Chicago couldn't get through
to anyone whose provider chose to use nixspam.

Now, almost all small ISPs are long gone, at least in the US, having been
eaten or driven under by huge corporations. It is a common thing for ISPs
and hosting providers to use a *single* domain for a mailhost, at least
for some large subset of their domains. I have zero information, or
confidence, that nixspam would not block Verizon, the giant telecom that
provides my network access at home, for the same reason.

For those reasons, I am once again urging the list owner to *change* spam
blocking, and stop using nixspam. At the very least, I request that you
*please* put me on a whitelist.

Yes, I argue... but so do most of us, and I think that I've helped a
number of folks with solutions to problems over the years, if I need to
justify my presence on this list.

         mark