[CentOS] Subject: Re: centos7 livecd yum problem (solved)

Tue Oct 14 15:28:03 UTC 2014
Don Vogt <dnvot at yahoo.com>

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:14:52 -0600
From: Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>
<To: centos at centos.org
<Subject: Re: [CentOS] centos7 livecd yum problem
<n Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:35:47 -0700
<Don Vogt wrote:

>> I started to install centos7 using a livecd image. After booting the cd I
>> tried a "yum install mc" which failed. I then tried "yum update" and got the
> >following output.

>Are you sure that your newly installed machine is actually online?

>What does "ping google.com" get you?

Thanks. That is the problem. I never got to the install. I was running from the liveCD.

I have booted from quite a few liveCD's and this is the first (that I remember- always a caveat nowadays) that didn't handle the network setup of my ethernet.
 The problem is probably unique to my setup. I have a built in ethernet on the motherboard which failed about a year after I put the board in about 6 years ago. I put in an old nic I had laying around and have been happy ever since.
 I tried looking at /var/log/messages to see what NetworkManager had to say, but don't understand it. I know how to get the network going now and will be able to do that after I install and should be OK. So, thanks again.