[CentOS] Q. LUKS or ecryptfs-utils ?

Wed Oct 22 19:32:32 UTC 2014
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I am now investigating encrypting our IMAP user spool files.  Does anyone have
experience with handling encrypted data stores using either or both of the
subject methods and would care tio share their observations?  Which is the
preferred method (I know: it depends, but on what?)?   What administrative
pain does each cause?

Our IMAP host is a KVM guest so spinning up a duplicate and simply copying the
data to an encrypted device or filesystem is not a very big deal.  We can live
with manually mounting the file system and providing a pass-phrase at boot.
we are also looking into a semi-auto USB based solution to that issue.

Canada  L8E 3C3