[CentOS] IPv6 updating DNS

Wed Oct 1 19:55:46 UTC 2014
Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net>

On Wednesday, October 01, 2014 19:06:11 Mark Tinberg wrote:

> > > As long as you run a router advertisement daemon clients will
> > > self-assign
> > > routable addresses, you don't really need DHCPv6 if you are also running
> > > DHCPv4, you can set DNS (even an IPv6 DNS server) or any other
> > > configuration using the DHCPv4 daemon.
> >
> > That is true - radvd does cause all my systems to self-assign a public
> > IPv6
> > address.  The problem is that radvd does NOT cause my DNS to get those
> > addresses.  The result is I can use IPv6 internally only by giving the
> > address.  I cannot use it by hostname.
> >
> > I suppose I could create static records in DNS.  Those self-assigned
> > addresses are not going to change until I go on Google Fiber.  For that
> > matter, I could use the FE80:: link-local addresses.  They are not
> > routable, but I don't need that.  Being based on the MAC address, they
> > won't change even when I move to Google Fiber.
>
> I would create static AAAA(ddress) records using the FF:FE EUI64
> self-assigned addresses as those are stable without any configuration
> required unlike DHCPv4 assigned addresses where dynamic updates or static
> MAC/IP configuration are needed.  If you allow it on your firewall you can
> also easily connect to services with public IPv6 addresses externally, if
> you get IPv6 when you are out and about (Verizon wireless is all IPv6 I
> think).
>
> It might also be good to use Avahi mDNS/Zeroconf internally which will
> automatically pick up the addresses of your internal hosts without any
> configuration needed, which might be simpler than running DNS if you just
> have a single subnet and only care about the names locally.
> > Still - it would be nice to have DNS automatically get IPv6 addresses just
> > like DHCP does now for IPv4.
>
> So is it correct to say that you currently have dynamic DNS configured
> between your DHCPv4 daemon and your DNS daemon so that DNS is automatically
> populated with A(ddress) records for your internal hosts with their RFC
> 1918 IPs.
>

>> Mark Tinberg
> mark.tinberg at wisc.edu

Hi Mark -

Yes - I have named and dhcpd both running on a CentOS 6.5 server.  Dhcpd is
configured to update named whenever it gives out a lease.  It took me a while
to figure out the incantations.  It has been running well for several years
now.

I don't need to resolve my hostnames outside my private network, so the EUI64
addresses will be fine.  It'll be a pain collecting them, but that's a one-time
job and I can write a script to redo them if needed.

I guess there is one more aspect to this ...  Delivering the IPv6 address of
my named server to clients.  It is really not necessary since named can give
IPv6 answers no matter which protocol the question comes in on.   For that
matter, since the resolv.conf file on all hosts is controlled by dhclient, I am
not sure it is even possible.  Maybe dhcpd can deliver both an IPv4 and IPv6
address for name resolver.

Research required!  :-)

Bill Gee