[CentOS] Centos laptop support

Thu Oct 2 13:01:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, October 2, 2014 7:16 am, Johan Vermeulen wrote:

> op 02-10-14 11:33, wwp schreef:
>> Hello,
>>

>> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:01:19 +0200 Johan Vermeulen
>> <jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be> wrote:

>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> when buying laptops I try to avoid Ati/Radeon cards, because of pas
>>> issues.
>>> But maybe it would be all right now.
>>>
>>> Definitely no Broadcom wireless.
>>> No Lenovo because of id/pairing protected cards.
>>> In short, I look for laptops with as many Intel parts as possible.
>>>
>>> Although it is true that Amd is a lot of power for a buck.
>> What's wrong w/ Broadcom wireless? Works fine here (Broadcom
>> Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)), even
>> if I had to install their driver (it's well documented on the CentOS
>> wiki).
>>

>> Regards,

With Dell laptops I pay special attention to get Intel wireless (as much
as I hate intel for video chip I love Intel for their wireless chip), I'm
definitely allergic to broadcom wireless from the very beginning. I do
avoid Compaq (and HP since compaq was bought by them): they hard code in
BIOS IDs of "approved" cards - it least compaq did it to me once, I had to
dump BIOS, use hex editor to add Intel wireless card ID to replace with is
broadcom crap - way back (yes, I had to unsolder PPROM chip from system
board for that). It was the same Compaq that did, as some remember "clean
room" --> IBM PC compatible. I too decided recently to stay away from
Lenovo in a future, reading this thread confirms it. I'm staying away from
Sony; they release very short series of models, do small tweaks, ... you
never know what you will get inside, no way to rely on experience
published by others. Also I saw Sony fail more often (few people around
buy them for themselves).

My $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev